My regimen is pretty simple and I have worked out what works for me over the past year through trial and error.
I’m sharing my regimen as it may work for others. But there are a few important things to bare in mind before thinking about changing your regimen:
1 – Everyone’s hair is different
What works for me may not for you. I have type 4B/C hair natural hair with mature sisterlocks. This means I am able to use products without repercussion or dreaded slippage (as long as I’m sensible).
2 – Everyone’s results will differ
Using the same products/regimen as someone else will not lead to the same result. Why? They do not have your hair. The same rule applies to fashion as an outfit can look amazing on you, but like a sack on someone else.
3 – Simplicity is best
I’ve found that the simplest regimen works best for my locks. When I had loose natural hair I used to be bathroom chemist mixing the latest products into a paste and putting it on my hair. The results weren’t great and sometimes lead to limp lifeless hair which I would then have to wash. With loose natural hair products can be washed out easily. Sisterlocks are not as forgiving, this leads onto the next point…
4 – …locks trap products
It is very difficult to wash some products out of dreadlocks so it is important to be careful with what you use. I don’t use creamy products, styling products or waxes as they leave a reside on hair, attract dust and are incredibly difficult to wash out.
5 – Always read the label
It very important to read the label to make sure that the product you are buying contains ingredients that are actually beneficial to your hair. The key ingredients to check are the first 5/6 ingredients in the product as that makes up the majority of what’s in the bottle. The further down the list you go the smaller the amount of that ingredient is in the product. So many companies jump on the latest magical ingredient bandwagon and you would be surprised to see how little of the miracle ingredient is in the actually in product. This is why I’ve listed the first few ingredients in my products so that you can see what’s in there.
Ok, that’s my rambling over. Now for the interesting bit my regimen and products 🙂
Washing & Conditioning
I shampoo and condition weekly. I diluted my shampoo before use by filling a normal water bottle with 60% water and 40% with shampoo. I do this so that my hair doesn’t feel stripped after shampooing and I don’t need to scrub my hair to create lather.
After washing I condition my hair by mixing one tea spoon of each of the following: argan oil, caster – coconut oil, jojoba oil with my conditioner. I leave the conditioner on my sisterlocks for 15 minutes and thoroughly rinse it off. I take extra time to make sure that every last drop of product is out of my locks as left over product will lead build up.
Every two weeks I use Madder Root Color Conditioner as a deep colour enhancement treatment. I leave it in my hair for 3o minutes and as it contains henna, it helps keep my locs red.
- Australian Organics Intensive Care Shampoo (ingredients: aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Tea lauryl sulface (coconut derived), coco propyl betaine (coconut derived), cocamide DEA (coconut derived))
- Australian Organics Nourishing Restorative Conditioner (ingredients: Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cetearyl alcohol, sesamum indicum (sesame oil), cetrimonium chloride)
- Madder Root Color Conditioner (ingredients: water, rubia tinctorum extract, clover extract, henna extract, sweet almond extract).
- Ghana gold virgin coconut oil
- Tropical isle living jamaican black castor oil with coconut oil
- Shea butter cottage organic golden jojoba oil
- Shea butter cottage organic argan oil
After my weekly shampoo I spray my hair with Avocado Honey Silk, I rub a small amount of Avocado Honey & Almond Moisture Milk (my leave-in conditioner) into my hair and seal that all in with my oil based hairdress, Indigofera Botanical Hairdress. I concentrate my spray and leave-in on my ends and my hairdress on my scalp.
- Avocado Honey & Almond (Triple Treat) Moisture Milk (ingredients: distilled water, aloe vera, soy lecithin, shea butter, pomegranate seed oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, sea silk, panthenol, honeyquat, essential oils and preservative.)
- Avocado Honey Silk ( daily spritz) (ingredients: distilled water, aloe vera, vegetable glycerin, seed & fruit oils [avocado, coconut, sweet almond oil], honey, pro vitamin B, sea Silk, vitamin E, essential Oil blend, preservative).
- Indigofera Botanical Hairdress (ingredients: Olive oil, indigofera moisture complex ™, organic karite Butter, lemongrass, essential oil, mineral mica)
Each day I very lighting spray my hair with Avocado Honey Silk spritz and rub a little caster oil on my temples.
Once or twice a month I spray my hair with a protein treatment.
Once a month treat my locks to a hot oil treatment with argan oil, caster – coconut oil and jojoba oil.
Chi Keratin Mist – Leave-In Strengthening Treatment (ingredients: Aqua, PEG-12 dimethicone, quaternium-80, polysorbate 20, cetrimonium chloride, hydrolysed keratin)
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog.